Dem. governor rules out 2028 presidential bid.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore (D) announced on Sunday that he will not be seeking the Democratic Party nomination for president in 2028.

“I’m not running for president,” Moore told Meet the Press host Kristen Welker when asked if he plans to join the Democratic field in the presidential primary.

Moore doubled down when pressed by Welker about his 2028 plans, saying he is choosing to focus on his state.

“I’m so excited about what we’re doing. That we’ve gone from 43rd in the country in unemployment to now one of the lowest unemployment rates,” Moore said.

“We’ve had amongst the fastest drops in violent crime anywhere in the United States of America,” he continued. “Our population is growing. Maryland is moving, and so I’m really excited about going back in front of the people of my state and asking for another term.”

Moore’s announcement comes as he raises his national profile by challenging Donald Trump’s militarization of cities.

Trump had threatened to send the National Guard into other cities across the country after militarizing Washington, D.C.. He specifically targeted Baltimore saying the city is “so far gone.”

Moore pushed back against Trump’s decision to deploy the National Guard to cities like Baltimore, arguing that his state doesn’t need federal help. The governor also responded by formally inviting Trump to join him and Baltimore officials on a public safety walk.

Trump declined the invitation but kept trading barbs with Moore on social media.

During their clash Trump falsely claimed Moore called him “the greatest president of my lifetime,” a lie that was debunked by video footage from Fox News.