Family of 6-year-old who shot teacher says the gun ‘was secured’

Family of 6-year-old who shot teacher says the gun 'was secured'

The family of a 6-year-old boy who shot his teacher at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Virginia said the gun used in the shooting “was secured.”

Our family has always been committed to responsible gun ownership and keeping firearms out of the reach of children. The firearm our son accessed was secured,” the boy’s family said in a statement through their attorney.


“Our heart goes out to our son’s teacher and we pray for her healing in the aftermath of such an unimaginable tragedy as she selflessly served our son and the children in the school,” the statement continued. “She has worked diligently and compassionately to support our family as we sought the best education and learning environment for our son. We thank her for her courage, grace and sacrifice. We grieve alongside all of the other teachers, families and administrators for how this horrific incident has impacted them, our community, and the nation.”

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew said the child brought the 9mm gun to school in his backpack on Jan. 6 and fired one round at his teacher, 25-year-old Abby Zwerner, during her class. Zwerner was hit in the chest and is recovering.

Drew said the gun was legally purchased by the child’s mother.


The school system’s superintendent George Parker said last week that at least one administrator was “notified of a possible weapon” but workers did not find a gun when they searched the child’s backpack, according to local outlet, WAVY TV. Newport News police also confirmed that a school employee was tipped off about a possible weapon but police was not made aware of that information before the shooting occurred.

No charges have been filed in the case so far. Drew said more investigation is needed to determine if the gun was properly secured in the home. Once those investigations are complete, Virginia’s attorney general’s office will make a decision about whether to charge the child’s parents.

In their statement on Thursday, the family said the child suffers from a disability.


“Our son suffers from an acute disability and was under a care plan at the school that included his mother or father attending school with him and accompanying him to class every day. Additionally, our son has benefitted from an extensive community of care that also includes his grandparents working alongside us and other caregivers to ensure his needs and accommodations are met. The week of the shooting was the first week when we were not in class with him. We will regret our absence on this day for the rest of our lives.”

The child has been in a hospital receiving treatment since the shooting, the family said.

[Image: Billy Schuerman/Getty]