Judge denies Trump’s request to delay enforcement of $355 million penalties in civil fraud case

The New York judge who presided over Donald Trump’s civil fraud case has denied the former president’s request to delay the enforcement of his $355 million in penalties in the case.

“You have failed to explain, much less justify, any basis for a stay,” Engoron wrote in an email reply to Trump’s lawyer Thursday. “I am confident that the Appellate Division will protect your appellate rights.”

Trump’s lawyer had asked Judge Engoron to delay the enforcement of the penalties by 30 days to allow for an “orderly post-judgment process particularly given the magnitude of Judgment.”

The New York Attorney General’s office opposed the request, arguing that Trump’s lawyers failed to justify why an additional delay of 30 days would be necessary and said Engoron’s decision in the case left “no room for further debate”.

Last week, Judge Engoron ordered Trump to pay nearly $355 million in penalties and nearly $100 million in interest for inflating and deflating the value of his assets to receive lower taxes and better insurance coverage. Trump’s adult sons, Don Jr and Eric, were also ordered to pay $4 million each. All three Trumps were also banned from doing business in New York for at least two years.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing and said he will appeal the ruling. But, he would need to post a bond for the full amount of the damage before starting the appeals process.