NH man no longer supports Trump after he was denied reentry into the US: “Torn from my family.”

A New Hampshire dad no longer supports Donald Trump after he was not allowed to re-enter the country while returning from a family vacation in Canada.

Chris Landry, 46, is a Canadian national with a green card who has been living in New Hampshire since he was 3-years-old. Landry has been making annual visits to Canada and never had an issue until Sunday when he was stopped by immigration officials in Houlton, Maine.

“I’m a legal resident, green-card holder, I have been since 1981,” he told NBC 10 Boston.

Landry, a father of five children, is unable to vote because of his Canadian citizenship. But, he said he was supportive of Trump and his immigration agenda during the campaign, now he’s blaming those policies for his current situation.

“I was definitely all for ‘Make America Great Again,’ and having a strong, unified country and a bright future for my five American children, but now I feel a little differently,” Landry said. “I’ve been torn from my family. My life has been disregarded completely.”

Landry said he was detained for five hours and questions about past convictions. In 2004 and 2007, Landry faced charges of marijuana possession and driving with a suspended license. He was given a suspended sentence and paid all his fines. He has had no criminal record since then.

“I felt like I was being treated like a criminal,” he told local news outlet WMUR, describing the experience as “really a living nightmare.”

Landry, who works in manufacturing in the US, is currently in New Brunswick, Canada. Immigration officials warned him to not try and reenter the US without approval because he will be arrested.

“It’s just very uncertain for me right now,” he said. “I might end up spending the rest of my life in Canada. Who knows if I’ll ever have the right to reenter the United States at this point?”

Landry has reached out to the offices of New Hampshire lawmakers to make his case.

New Hampshire Democratic Senator Maggie Hassan confirmed to Newsweek that her office has been in contact with Landry.

“Helping constituents navigate federal agencies and processes is a core function of Senator Hassan’s office,” a spokesperson for the lawmaker’s office said. “We can confirm that Mr. Landry reached out to our office and our constituent services team has been in touch with him.”

1 thought on “NH man no longer supports Trump after he was denied reentry into the US: “Torn from my family.””

Comments are closed.