Ron DeSantis to skip Trump’s Saturday rally in Florida.

Ron DeSantis to skip Trump's Saturday rally in Florida.

Florida Gov. Run DeSantis will not attend Donald Trump’s rally in Sarasota, Fla on Saturday amid recovery efforts following the deadly collapse of a condo building in Surfside.

According to the New York Times, DeSantis spoke to Trump “who agreed that it was the right decision, because the Governor’s duty is to be in Surfside.”



DeSantis’ press secretary later confirmed to the Hill that the governor, one of Trump’s closest allies, will skip the rally.

“We can confirm that the Governor will not attend the rally in Sarasota. He spoke with President Trump, who agreed that this was the right decision, as the Governor’s duty is to be in Surfside making sure the families and community have what they need in the aftermath of the tragic building collapse,” press secretary Christina Pushaw said.

“Governor DeSantis would have gone to this event in normal circumstances. He is sure the rally will draw a big crowd on this holiday weekend, as many Floridians are excited to attend,” she added.



Earlier this week it was reported that DeSantis “made a direct plea” to Trump to postpone the rally due to the ongoing recovery efforts in Surfside. DeSantis’ office later denied the report.

The death toll of the 12-story residential building that partially last week has risen to 24, leaving 124 unaccounted for, officials said Saturday morning.