The gun Kyle Rittenhouse used to kill two protesters and injure a third during Black Lives Matter protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin in 2020 will be destroyed by state authorities.
According to Insider, Judge Bruce Schroeder approved an agreement between defense attorneys and prosecutors at a court hearing Friday to allow state officials to destroy the AR-15 rifle, rather than return it to Rittenhouse.
Prosecutors said the state’s crime lab will destroy the gun sometime this year.
Rittenhouse asked for the gun and other items to be returned to him in a Jan. 19 court filing. The gun and items were collected and used as evidence in his criminal trial last year in Kenosha County.
Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges he faced in relation to the August 2020 shooting in which he killed Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, and Anthony Huber, 26, and injured Gaige Grosskreutz, 26, with the AR-15 style semiautomatic rifle. His defense attorneys said he was acting in self-defense when he fired his gun during the protest.
Rittenhouse claimed he wanted the gun back to ensure that it was “properly destroyed.”
Other than the gun, the other items Rittenhouse requested in the filing, including a 30-round capacity magazine, bullets, an iPhone, some clothing, and a $1 bill were all returned to him.