Stefanik says she doesn’t believe E. Jean Carroll: “The media is so biased”

Stefanik: "I would not have done what Mike Pence did" on Jan. 6

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) says she does not believe former magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll allegations that Donald Trump raped her in a department store in the mid-1990s.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Stefanik dismissed Trump’s trials as “witch hunts” led by Democrats to help re-elect Joe Biden.

“Do you believe E. Jean Carroll?” NBC News’ Vaughn Hillyard asked.

“No, of course not….. The media is so biased. This is just another example of the media being out of touch,” Stefanik responded.

“It’s not the media,” Hillyard responded. “It’s a jury that found he sexually abused E. Jean Carroll.”

“Again, the media is so out of touch with the American people; like 2016, you are going to see the American people speak out loudly and clearly with their vote,” Stefanik said.

Trump was already found liable for sexual abuse and defamation last year and ordered to pay $5 million, a verdict he is appealing. A second trial involving Carroll and Trump is currently underway in New York to determine how much money in damages the former president must pay Carroll for defaming her in comments he made while serving as president and since the $5 million verdict.

The judge overseeing the new case, Judge Lewis Kaplan, already ruled that the trial will focus on monetary damages because of the prior jury’s ruling.