Boebert slams Ken Buck’s resignation, says she will not run in special election.

Boebert slams Ken Buck's resignation, says she will not run in special election.

Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) says she will not be running in the special election to replace Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) and slammed the fellow Republican lawmaker for leaving Congress before his term ends.

Boebert currently represents Colorado’s 3rd Congressional District. She announced in December that she would run for Buck’s seat, which is the 4th District, after Buck announced he would not seek reelection last year. The congressman moved up the timeline to the end of next week on Tuesday.

“Ken Buck’s announcement yesterday was a gift to the Uniparty. The establishment concocted a swampy backroom deal to try to rig an election I’m winning by 25 points,” she said, according to The Denver Post.

Buck’s early departure triggered a June 25 special election to fill his seat for the rest of this year. It is also the day of the state primary election contests thus making it possible that Republicans could elect one candidate to serve the remainder of Buck’s term and another to compete in November for a full term.

“Forcing an unnecessary Special Election on the same day as the Primary Election will confuse voters, result in a lame duck Congressman on day one, and leave the 4th District with no representation for more than three months,” Boebert said. “The 4th District deserves better.” 

Boebert would have to resign from her seat to compete in the special election to replace Buck, which would trigger a special election in the 3rd district that could see a Democrat flipping the seat and further narrowing Republicans already slim majority in the House.

Due to this, Boebert decided to skip the special election and will be focusing on the GOP primary instead where she is endorsed by Donald Trump. Colorado’s 4th district is heavily Republican and the winner of the GOP primary is virtually assured to win the general election in November.