Donald Trump raised more than $150 million since Election day a little over three weeks ago.
According to The Washington Post, this massive fundraising haul shatter records set during the campaign. The Trump camp achieved this by using a “blizzard of misleading appeals about the election.” Much of the money came from small donors who are motivated to support Donald Trump’s long shot cause of overturning the election results.
In the month since the election the Trump campaign has sent out about 500 emails soliciting donations to end voter fraud and a plea from outgoing Vice-President Mike Pence to join the ‘Election Defense Task Force’.
These donation requests appear to come from the Official Election Defense Fund, The Washington Post says that account does not exist. The requests are actually coming from Donald Trump Make America Great Again Committee and it will benefit the Trump campaign, the RNC and as of November 18, Save America, a leadership PAC created by Donald Trump.
The Save America PAC set up by Trump will receive 75% of every donation and the RNC will receive the remaining 25%.
“The average donor who gives in response to Trump’s appeal for funds to ‘stop the fraud’ likely doesn’t realize that their money is actually retiring Trump’s debt or funding his leadership PAC,” Brendan Fischer of Campaign Legal Center told The Post.
Republican donor Dan Eberhart says Trump is taking advantage of these small donors to pay off his debt and line his pockets.
“Trump is making hay while the sun is shining. He’s taking advantage of all the free media coverage to pay off his campaign debt and fill his coffers for whatever comes next. I’d rather give to Romney 2012 than Trump 2020 at this point,” Eberhart said.
With the money rolling in, it is very unlikely that Trump or his allies will stop with their frivolous lawsuits, they have an incentive to proceed. In just one month, they manage to raise enough money that eclipses the total amount of money raised during the second quarter of this election year alone.