YouTube announced on Wednesday that it will remove any video from its platform that continues to spread false claims of widespread voter fraud in the election.
The ban only applies to videos uploaded today and onwards. So, any content uploaded before today will remain on the platform.
“Yesterday was the safe harbor deadline. Now that enough states certified their presidential election results, we’ll remove any content published today (or anytime after) that alleges widespread fraud or errors changed the 2020 U.S. presidential election outcome,” YouTube said in a statement.
This is a major step for the Google owned service which has been reluctant to take measures to curb the spread of misinformation on its platform. They previously said they wanted to give people room for “discussion of election results.”