A federal jury convicted the man who attacked Paul Pelosi, husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, after breaking into the couple’s home last year.
David DePape, 43, was found guilty of attempted kidnapping of a federal official, and assault on the immediate family member of a federal official.
He faces a potential sentence of life in prison.
DePape broke into the Pelosis’ home in the early morning hours on October 28 last year and confronted Paul Pelosi, 82, in the bedroom, demanding to speak to his wife.
Police bodycam footage from an officer who responded to the scene showed Pelosi and DePape struggling over a hammer before he used it to hit Pelosi on the head.
Pelosi was hospitalized and underwent surgery for a skull fracture.
After the verdict, a spokesman for Nancy Pelosi said in a statement: “Speaker Pelosi and her family are deeply grateful for the outpouring of prayers and warm wishes for Mr. Pelosi from so many across the country during this difficult time.”
“The Pelosi family is very proud of their Pop, who demonstrated extraordinary composure and courage on the night of the attack a year ago and in the courtroom this week,” the spokesman said. “Thankfully, Mr. Pelosi continues to make progress in his recovery.”