The man accused of attacking Paul Pelosi last year with a hammer, called into a California newsroom on Friday to apologize for not getting “more of them.”
DePape, 42, called into KTVU from the San Francisco County jail where he is held on charges stemming from the attack.
“I want to apologize to everyone. I messed up. What I did was really bad,” DePape said on the call. “I’m so sorry I didn’t get more of them. It’s my own fault. No one else is to blame. I should have come better prepared.”
DePape broke into Pelosi’s home last October looking for his wife, then- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who was in Washington D.C at the time. Pelosi alerted police who arrived on the scene to find both men struggling over a hammer, body cam footage show.
DePape dragged the hammer from Pelosi’s hand while he was talking to the officers and hit him on the head.
Pelosi suffered a skull fracture and several injuries to his arm and hand.
DePape has been charged with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, residential burglary, false imprisonment and threatening a public official. He also faces two federal charges: attempted kidnapping and assault with intent to retaliate against a federal official by threatening or injuring a family member.
Shortly after his arrest, DePape told police that he had a ‘hit list’ where he intended to target Democratic politicians, their families and other left-leaning public figures, including President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) and actor Tom Hanks.
“I got their names and addresses so I could pay them a little visit… have a heart-to-heart chat about their bad behavior,” DePape said on the call Friday.
[Image: Michael Short/San Francisco Chronicle via AP]